Why is it that when we go to the doctor we get so excited when they call our name right at our appointment time? We go back to the little white room and we think, wow this is going to be quick. And then the pleasant nurse comes in and takes all this information, we like her, she is nice to us and very helpful. She says the doctor will be right in........liar! She leaves you in this small white room that is way too bright with the hope that the doctor will be right in. Now mind you I am sitting there feeling awful with the worst headache I have had in my life.......the nurse leaves shuts the door and then I hear it. Tick Tock, Tick Tock it is the loudest clock I have ever heard in my entire life. I try to distract myself, think about something else, but the noise is making my headache worse. My whole head feels like it is pulsating to the ticks of this clock. After about 20 minutes of this I feel a little crazed and I think what if I just take the batteries out? What if I chuck it out in the hall? Now I have been waiting 30 minutes. Do you think I could put it in the cabinet? Would I still hear it? Am I going insane? I think I am. Now it's been 40 minutes. Are they trying to make me crazy? Is that their goal? I am about to start screaming....my head is pounding....the lights are burning my retinas......and then the door opens. The Nurse practitioner comes in all smiles and how can I help you? And I say, nicely and with a bit of a wild look in my eye I am sure, that clock is the loudest one I have ever heard and could drive you completely insane in this room. She says I know we have thought about replacing it, but it is a perfectly good clock.......it is one of those freebies from some drug company.....for a split second I thought about snatching it right off the wall to prevent some other poor sick soul from being brought to the brink of insanity while waiting for the doctor. See what a fever and a trip to the doctor can do to me.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
The Tick Tock of Insanity!
Why is it that when we go to the doctor we get so excited when they call our name right at our appointment time? We go back to the little white room and we think, wow this is going to be quick. And then the pleasant nurse comes in and takes all this information, we like her, she is nice to us and very helpful. She says the doctor will be right in........liar! She leaves you in this small white room that is way too bright with the hope that the doctor will be right in. Now mind you I am sitting there feeling awful with the worst headache I have had in my life.......the nurse leaves shuts the door and then I hear it. Tick Tock, Tick Tock it is the loudest clock I have ever heard in my entire life. I try to distract myself, think about something else, but the noise is making my headache worse. My whole head feels like it is pulsating to the ticks of this clock. After about 20 minutes of this I feel a little crazed and I think what if I just take the batteries out? What if I chuck it out in the hall? Now I have been waiting 30 minutes. Do you think I could put it in the cabinet? Would I still hear it? Am I going insane? I think I am. Now it's been 40 minutes. Are they trying to make me crazy? Is that their goal? I am about to start screaming....my head is pounding....the lights are burning my retinas......and then the door opens. The Nurse practitioner comes in all smiles and how can I help you? And I say, nicely and with a bit of a wild look in my eye I am sure, that clock is the loudest one I have ever heard and could drive you completely insane in this room. She says I know we have thought about replacing it, but it is a perfectly good clock.......it is one of those freebies from some drug company.....for a split second I thought about snatching it right off the wall to prevent some other poor sick soul from being brought to the brink of insanity while waiting for the doctor. See what a fever and a trip to the doctor can do to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am cracking up all over again. I can picture this scene in my head and ....as bad as it must have been for you... I am smiling on the inside.
You should have recommended the doctor sit in the room for just 4, not 40, minutes in silence with the clock. S/he might then take down the cursed thing.
Post a Comment